[texbirds] Tricolored Heron in Kerr County

  • From: <jkessler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:52:07 -0500

On Tuesday 9 April Ann Amsbury and I observed a Tricolored Heron land in the
shallow water of the Guadalupe River about fifty feet below the dam in Louise
Hays Park in Kerrville, TX.  We observed it from 2:17 pm until 2:23 pm when it
flew off upriver.  This is only the second Tricolored Heron I have observed in
Kerr County in the ten years that I have lived here.  According to the TOS
Handbook of Texas Birds, it is "very rare farther inland" than Bexar County.
James Kessler
Kerrville, TX