[texbirds] The 2014 Game - April in the LEAS Region

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 10:11:07 -0500

Greetings All
This year's game, titled 'A Slightly Bigger Patch' is to see how many species
of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and mammal I can find in my
home region.
The LEAS region includes fifteen counties (Bailey, Lamb, Hale, Floyd, Motley,
Cochran, Hockley, Lubbock, Crosby, Dickens, Yoakum,Terry, Lynn, Garza,
and Kent)
and, with portions of the region below andatop the Caprock Escarpment, offers a
fairly wide variety of habitats.  My goals for the year are 75 species of
butterfly, 10 species of amphibian, 25 species of reptile, 300 species of bird,
and 25 species of mammal.  Due to ongoing and brutal drought, April was not the
improvement over March that we had all hoped for but I persevered, got out as
I could, and added a few more to the cumulative total. All in all, I spotted 36
species of butterfly, 4 species of amphibian, 15 species of reptile, 150 species
of bird, and 15 species of mammal during the month bringing the year's total up
to 36 species of butterfly (48%), 5 species of amphibian (50%), 17 species of
reptile (68%), 211 species of bird (70%), and 18 species of mammal (72%).

As mentioned in a separate and earlier post, Rich Kostecke is still
whupping my butt (214 bird species to 1211 bird species) in our regional
competition and I will continue to track and post that savaging separately.
Without further ado, the April list for the LEAS region - with
new additions *sked.

Otis Skipper*
Juvenal's Duskywing*
Sleepy Duskywing*