[texbirds] Texas city kittiwake NO

  • From: Clayton Leopold <passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:00:16 -0600

Sorry a little late... I made it to the dike at 1630 yesterday and stayed
till dark. No sign of the kittiwake, bonapartes gull, lesser-blacked gull
or pacific loon, all birds I still need for the year and only 5 miles from
my house.
I saw what I think is the questionable thayers gull. It had a black eye and
smaller bill and body. An adult winter herring gull was next to it for
comparison. Is there a 100% diagnostic for this species? I'm not great with
gulls to begin with.

Plus how does everyone keep finding these lesser-black blacks! I cannot
seem to pick one out, I'm just saying!

--
Clayton & Linsey Leopold
Texas City