[texbirds] Terlingua area hummingbirds - 6 species today

  • From: Kelly Bryan <kelly.b.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:04:04 -0600

Texbirders,
We conducted our normal sampling round down south today in the Terlingua
Ranch area.  We were anxious to see what effect the recent cold front,
strong westerly winds and hard freeze in the Davis Mountains had on numbers
and diversity in the lower desert.  We were not disappointed.  We observed
and/or trapped 15 birds of 6 species as follows:

   - Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1 HY male trapped and banded at Lajitas
   - Anna's Hummingbird - 7 new birds banded at Lajitas and Willow
   Mountain; 2 returns at CMO, one from two weeks ago and one from last year
   - Costa's Hummingbird - 1 sub-adult male still at CMO (details from
   Carolyn later today on Texbirds)
   - Broad-tailed Hummingbird - 1 HY male trapped and banded at Willow
   Mountain
   - Rufous Hummingbird - 1 HY male trapped and banded at CMO; 1 HY female
   observed at Willow Mountains (likely banded last week)
   - Calliope Hummingbird - 1 adult male observed at CMO until it was
   attacked by the Costa's and run off

This is the highest diversity we have had for mid-November for the region
during this banding study.  KBB

--
Kelly B Bryan
Fort Davis, Texas

To follow the progress of my hummingbird project go to:
http://westtexashummingbirds.com/
To support this project, other bird projects and our educational outreach
in west Texas go to:  http://www.westtexasavianresearch.org/