[texbirds] TOS Winter Meeting Reminder and Workshop Schedule

  • From: sgross77@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TOS-LIST <TOS-LIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 19:36:38 +0000 (UTC)

Item #1: We've had an outstanding number of registrations for the 2013 TOS
Winter Meeting in west Houston, but the more the merrier! The meeting will take
place at the Marriott Energy Corridor, at I-10 and Park Ten Blvd. The dates are
January 17-20th, 2013.

There's still time to register, though we will close out banquet and box lunch
numbers on January 10. Bring a friend or new birder! Or two! Registration
materials are available on our website: texasbirds.org

Item #2: Afternoon workshops are a new feature at this meeting. Here's the
latest breakdown on topics and time (subject to slight changes, of course):

Thursday 1/17 5 p.m.: Confusing ID's on the Katy Prairie: Steve Gross (1 hr.)
Friday 1/18 4 p.m.: 10 Tips to Better Bird Photography: Kathy Adams Clark (2
hr.)
Friday 1/18 5 p.m.: Confusing ID's on the Katy Prairie: Richard Gibbons (1
hr.); Self-Guided International Trip Planning: Stephan Lorenz (1 hr.)
Saturday 1/19 4 p.m.: Bird Photography: Greg Lavaty (2 hr.); Century Club
Tactics: Anthony "Fat Tony" Hewetson (1 hr.)
Saturday 1/19 5 p.m.: Self-Guided US Trip Planning: Steve Gross
Saturday 1/19 5:30 p.m.: eBird Basics, Usage, and Tips: John Berner (1 hr.)

Our presenters are working hard to bring you up-to-date and highly useful
information. Please take the time to attend one (OR MORE) of these great
workshops. You do not need to pre-register for the workshops; simply show up!

One quick note on the importance of the Confusing ID's workshops : In Amarillo,
during the 2012 Winter Meeting, many participants reported Common Ravens to
eBird. This is partly my fault, since we didn't prepare visiting birders about
the distribution of ravens in the Panhandle. Chihuahuan Raven is the default
bird in the Panhandle, and the poor eBird reviewer had to wade through MANY
reports of Common Raven, most of which were erroneous. This fiasco prompted the
Confusing ID workshop.

If you're not familiar with the bird distribution of the Katy Prairie and this
part of the state, please consider attending this valuable workshop on Thursday
or Friday. I can guarantee that you'll learn something.

So, cram into your vehicles like clowns in a Volkswagen and come to Houston
January 17th. I hope to see each and every one of you there!

Steve Gross
TOS President
Cell: 281-787-3888
sgross77@xxxxxxxxxxx