[texbirds] TOS Spring Meeting Summary, A Little Delayed

  • From: "Steven Gross" <sgross77@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TOS Listserve" <TOS-LIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 17:42:40 -0500

Sorry for the delay, but I thought I'd give you all a summary of the
Spring Meeting of the Texas Ornithological Society. Port Aransas and
environs proved to be a very fruitful location for our meeting and field
trips.

Across three days of trips, a total of 255 species was seen. Highlights
include Cape May Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, Bobolink (not common at all
on the central coast), Ferruginous Pygmy-owl, and Tropical Parula, among
others.

Information about birds seen was disseminated via a text message alert
system, which brought birders from all points on the compass each time a
juicy species was reported. People's interest in this system seemed to
grow over the weekend, so we'll have it in place again during the
Winter, 2013 meeting.

Everyone who came seemed to have a dandy time. We learned about the
raptors of the central coast on Thursday, we pulled out hair trying to
come up with that last Bird Quiz answer on Friday, and we learned about
some of the history of TOS from Dr. Keith Arnold, our keynote speaker,
at the Saturday banquet.

The coffers of our Sanctuary Fund were enriched by over $3000, thanks to
the efforts of three young birders from Rockport. Britney, Brian, and
Kyler came up with 142 species on their Big Day May 5th, a mighty haul.

Many thanks go out to the TOS Board members who made the journey, to the
Audubon Outdoor Club, and especially to Joel Simon, meeting coordinator,
and Larry Jordan, field trip chair.

We had a blast. If you missed it, I hope you'll mark the weekend of
January 17-20 on your calendars. It's Martin Luther King, Jr. Weekend,
so many of you will have that Monday off.

Look for the meeting location in a future issue of TOS News, or feel
free to contact me or any board member.

Spring birding on the central Texas coast is always worth the effort.
The weekend of May 3-6, 2012 was no exception.

Hope to see you in the field soon.

Good birding,

Steve

Steve Gross