[texbirds] TOS Memorial Funds

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <FCollins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 17:14:54 +0000

Dear all,
I am a life member of TOS since 1971. I have never served in the administration
of the organization. I understand the concern of members and donors that
memorial funds seem to go into a black hole. But a reality check is that funds
today likely can only earn between a third and a half percent. Maybe TOS can
put them with other finds and purchase CDs but still are likely to earn less
than two percent. So if Steve's fund was fifteen hundred dollars it generates
annually, between five and thirty dollars annually. Kind of hard to make an
impact or provide a scholarship on that, If the fund is fifteen thousand we
only add another zero for between fifty and three hundred dollars annually. TOS
has a number of similar funds set aside to honor various people in the past.
All these funds have the same problem, the capitol amount is relatively small
and the interest rate very low. I know that the current administration is aware
of the frustration some of you have and are looking at potential solutions to
set these funds up in a fashion that you can see the results.

I am patient enough to wait and see what they propose.

Fred Collins
Life member TOS and SWAN
Advisrory Board Member HAS and KPC

Director, Kleb Woods Nature Center