[texbirds] Surf Scoter, Long-tailed Duck at Donna Lake, 1/1/13

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 20:16:23 -0500 (EST)

Mary called me this afternoon to tell me the wintering duck flock at Donna Lake
was close to the road (FM 1423 south of Donna) so I ran over to see them.
Here's the Long-tailed Duck.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Birds/Long-tailedDuckDonnaLake1-1-13135_resize.jpg

The Surf Scoter is gaining more adult male coloration.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Birds/SurfScoterDonnaLake1-1-13115_resize.jpg

And then there's the Greater Scaup.  This photo shows four scaup with a white
ear patch but I think only the center two are Greaters.  They have rounder
heads and larger bills.  I like the pale Lesser Scaup on the left.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/Birds/GreaterScaupDonnaLake1-1-13102_resize.jpg

Dan Jones, Weslaco