[texbirds] St. Edwards Park -- Saturday 13th

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:25:19 -0500

I really believe this park is a local gem. Now, the dogs start to show up
around 9, but the trails are great, and the birds even better.
There was a Red-eyed Vireo singing by the parking lot, more down by the
creek with flashy Nashville Warblers. As I walked by the creek, I hit
another concentration of birds with a Blue-headed Vireo and Orange-crowned
Warblers. As I headed away from the creek, a Ladder-backed Woodpecker was
making noise. Then the Golden-cheeked Warblers started to roll in. I tried
to count conservatively with "heard only" birds, and came up with 16. About
1/3 were singing a up-down-up-churr pattern.

I came back to the creek and walked along the south side. A Louisiana
Waterthrush was calling in the weeds, and a Summer Tanager was belting its
song. Heading back towards the "dam," I flushed a Green Heron. Back at the
parking lot, the Golden-cheek seemed to be across the street.

Elliott Gordon
AF5HH
NW Austin