[texbirds] Southern Brazos County birding- 7/27

  • From: Darrell Vollert <dvollert1967@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:32:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Texbirders,

Saturday morning I birded a large tract of privately-owned property in the
Peach Creek Community in southern Brazos County. My main objective was to check
a marshy area for nesting Common Yellowthroat. A male was vigorously defending
a territory three weeks ago. The bird was in the same location yesterday and
singing vigorously and making scolding calls. I have yet to see a female or
young in the marsh. A second male yellowthroat was observed singing in the
marsh about 100 yards away from the other male.

A Willow Flycatcher called in the rattlebush in the marsh. I heard the fitz-bew
and wit calls. There was another silent Traill's flycatcher in the rattlebush.
A pair of Wood Ducks, a silent Prothonotary Warbler, and a Red-headed
Woodpecker were also in the area. Most of the expected long-legged wading birds
were represented on the property. Great Blue Heron, 4 Great Egrets, Snowy
Egret, adult Little Blue Heron, Green Heron, adult and immature Yellow-crowned
Night Heron, and 4 White Ibis.

Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were feeding on trumpet vine blooms.  One
Yellow-throated Vireo sang briefly. A couple of Northern Parulas and a
Black-and-white Warbler were foraging in the crowns of overcup oak trees. A
pair of Summer Tanagers were foraging together and the male sang a little bit.
Indigo Buntings were singing all over the property. Probably 8 males, including
one singing in flight. I saw two females. A couple of Painted Buntings were
still singing. I saw a total of 3 adult males and one female. Lastly, one adult
male and three female/immature type Orchard Orioles migrated throh the property.

All in all, not a bad morning in the field on a late July day. There was a
light north breeze, overcast skies, and the temperature was 84 degrees when I
left the property shortly before noon.

Good birding,
Darrell Vollert
Chappell Hill