[texbirds] South Padre Island - Wednesday May 7th

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 23:24:48 -0500

TexBirders,

Today (Wednesday May 7th) my wife, Mary, and I, along with Rex and
Birgit Stanford, birded South Padre Island (Convention Center gardens
and mud flats, and the Sheepshead lots) to see what migrants (if
any!) were around. Although the numbers of birds was low, we saw
quite a few of the expected migrant species, including 16 species of
shorebirds and 10 species of warbler. Not too many photos, but a very
cooperative Ovenbird and a stunning Male MacGillivray's Warbler were
among the highlights. A brief stop at the Port Isabel Reservoir added
a few additional shorebirds to bring the total for the day to 19 species.

A partial list of species seen follows...

Black-bellied Plover
Snowy Plover
Piping Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
American Avocet (Port Isabel Reservoir)
Black-necked Stilt
Willet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Greater Yellowlegs
Spotted Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone
Sanderling
Dunlin
Semipalmated Sandpiper (Port Isabel Reservoir)
Least Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Stilt Sandpiper (Port Isabel Reservoir)
Wilson's Phalarope