[texbirds] Re: Some insights into extreme winds affects on trans-Gulf migration

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jarvin@xxxxxxxx" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>, New Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LABIRD-L <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:04:13 -0400

Hi John -

VERY interesting.   It sounds like the migrants have a built-in "governor" that
monitors actual ground speed and in the case of a tailwind kicks into
fuel-saving mode to arrive with more energy, or perhaps to keep pace with the
emerging leaves, insects., etc. - go too far and too fast on consecutive days
and they might encounter wintry conditions with no food sources at the same
time as being drained of energy.   Amazing stuff....

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi), TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx