[texbirds] Some decent birds in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 07:09:32 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
Yesterday: an Osprey soaring (majestically, I suppose) over Maxey Park.

This morning: two adult-plumaged Harris's Hawks in the fields west of TTU HSC;
two adult-plumaged and one subadult-plumaged Harris's Hawk in the area just
northeast of the intersection of Quaker Avenue and 4th Street.

A  note to the pedants out there: please don't post me about my use of the word
'subadult' until you all agree with each other.  Every time I use the word
'immature' I hear from one set of 'experts' and every time I use the word
'subadult' I get an earful from another set of 'experts'.  I will now modify
the word '-plumaged' with 'adult' or 'subadult' in a last, desperate attempt to
please the lot of you - and in the full knowledge that everybody who owns a
field guide knows exactly what I am trying to convey.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock