[texbirds] Re: So - are "backyard sightings" a valuable submission to Texbirds?

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 09:37:51 -0500

Hi Texbirds,

Z, I can't speak for anyone else in Texbirds Land, but I appreciate your
posts.  While reading about rare or "special" birds is exciting, my main
reason for reading a bird list is to glean information about bird behavior,
as well as to find out which birds are where and when they are there.  I
also like to read about peoples' wonder and delight when they are watching
birds.

Different people have different motivations for monitoring a bird list such
as Texbirds.  Depending on what they are looking for, people can choose
which posts to read.  They can delete posts unread if they have no interest
in reading them.  I know my posts are automatically deleted unread by most
people.  But having received positive feedback from others, I also know
there is a small subset of readers on Texbirds that enjoy reading them, so I
continue to post.

When I see your name on a post in my inbox I always look forward to reading
it.  If you aren't a "pro" or a hot-shot birder, it isn't easy to stick your
neck out by posting on a bird list as large as Texbirds.  You risk getting
your head lopped off for posting "clutter".

In January our hard-working list owner David Sarkozi posted about this
topic, see:

http://tinyurl.com/cljvxt7

Thank you, David, you rock.

And thank you, Z, for being brave enough to post about the birds in your
neck of the woods.

Lori Markoff
southwest Austin

/////////////////////
I am not a scientist or professional bird watcher/counter/identifier. The
birds I see here (Horseshoe Bend, Weatherford, Parker County, Texas) are
generally the usual kind, and I have sometimes wondered if Texbirds even
wants to know that I'm seeing Blue Jays or House Sparrows, etc. Then I
think that, especially with the changes in migration patterns and so on, it
might be ok/good to know even what 'usual' birds are around and when, or
not.
I occasionally have something "different" to post (like the recent
Caracara), but not often.

This is a sincere question. Do posts about 'simple', 'usual' backyard birds
help? Or are they just clutter?

Tzila "Z" Duenzl
Horseshoe Bend, Weatherford, Parker County, Texas