[texbirds] Smith Point today

  • From: Tony Leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:58:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi all:

Joe K. has already dealt with most of the interesting things from the tower
today.  Since Tad Finnell conducted the count (I had the day off, though spent
seven hours on the tower, anyway!), I'm not reporting the official numbers.
But, as noted by Joe, both White-tailed and Swainson's hawks provided some
excitement and color, and the female Black-chinned Hummer that showed up late
on Saturday or on Sunday AM, was still present today
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_leukering/8180724637/in/photostream  and go
one pic either way for other images of the girl).  Two White-tailed Hawks made
appearances not long apart from each other, and the two were fairly similar,
but small -- but obvious -- differences allowed separation, at least once I got
my pix uploaded.  I've posted two pix of the second bird
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_leukering/8180762230/in/photostream/  and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_leukering/8180726175/in/photostream/).  I've
also posted what I consider my "Pic of the Day"  --
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_leukering/8180773396/in/photostream/).  Is
this a great place to photograph raptors, or what?!

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Villas, NJ