[texbirds] Sightings @ the Edinburg Scenic Wetlands & World Birding Center 7/30/13

  • From: "Monica Barrera" <mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:52:57 +0000

 Hello All!

Although it's been incredibly hot these past few days (or weeks, pretty much),
I've still been able to see some activity throughout our grounds as well as our
ponds. While out on a walk this morning, I spotted a Great-blue Heron, Green
Heron, Tri-colored Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron, & Yellow-crowned Night
Heron all in North Pond and Canal areas! Also at North Pond were the Spotted
Sandpiper, Fulvous-whistling Ducks, Great & Snowy Egrets, and Black-bellied
Whistling Ducks.

Speaking of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, as I was observing a pair of adult
whistling ducks with young ones last week, I noticed one of the little ones
struggling to stay at the surface as a mystery creature pulled it down.
Meanwhile, the adult flapped around as much as it could in order to scare off
this creature. I stayed there not knowing what to do, and feeling pretty much
helpless, until the poor thing was pretty much drowned. Then, I noticed the
head of a Spiny Softshell Turtle pop up! Honestly, I had never seen this happen
before! And, quite frankly, I believed their diet was composed of only
macroinvertebrates and an ocassional fish or two! The Spiny Softshell then
tugged at the duck, pulling it to wherever it was going. Pretty eventful
morning that was, poor Black-bellied Whistling Duck.

Anywho, Other birds I observed along the grounds included Northern Cardinals,
Long-billed Thrashers, Tropical/Couch's Kingbirds, White-eyed Vireo, Orchard
Orioles, Great Kiskadees, and Buff-bellied Hummingbirds.

Here's the full list of sightings:

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands WBC (LTC 061), Hidalgo, US-TXJul 30, 2013 8:15 AM -
9:15 AM
Protocol: Area
30.0 ac
31 species (+1 other taxa)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck45
Mottled Duck2
Neotropic Cormorant30
Great Blue Heron1
Great Egret3
Snowy Egret10
Tricolored Heron1
Green Heron2
Black-crowned Night-Heron1
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron1
American Coot5
Killdeer2
Black-necked Stilt15
Spotted Sandpiper2
Rock Pigeon2
White-winged Dove1
Mourning Dove1
Inca Dove5
Buff-bellied Hummingbird8
Ringed Kingfisher1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker1
Great Kiskadee5
Tropical/Couch's Kingbird5
White-eyed Vireo1
Cave Swallow10
Northern Mockingbird15
Long-billed Thrasher2
Northern Cardinal15
Great-tailed Grackle10
Bronzed Cowbird15
Orchard Oriole2
House Sparrow10

Come visit us! Throughout August, bird walks are offered by appointment.
Regular bird walks will be scheduled again to be every Tuesday at 8:30 a.m.
beginning in September.

Have a great afternoon!

Monica Barrera
Interpretive Naturalist

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands & World Birding Center
P.O. Box 1079
Edinburg, Texas 78540
956.381.9922 O 956.381.0715 F
mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx