[texbirds] Shorebirds at Port Isabel Reservoir (Cameron Co.): Wednesday 05/14/14

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 00:49:03 -0500

Yesterday (Wednesday, 05/14/14) we went out largely to try to find our
first-of-season White-rumped Sandpipers. We will not bore readers with our
unsuccessful tries earlier in the day, but some time between 5:30 and 6:00
PM we arrived at the Port Isabel Reservoir and at last found WHITE-RUMPED
SANDPIPER, a species for which we had been searching on several recent
outings. Indeed, we were thrilled to find 6 of these handsome creatures in
the finger-like watery area to the immediate north of the discharge pipe at
the adjacent waste-water treatment facility. This finger of water is
bordered on the west by marsh-like vegetation and on the east by the berm on
the east side of the reservoir.

Here is the complete list of shorebirds that we found at this site late this
afternoon: SEMIPALMATED PLOVER (1); BLACK-NECKED STILT (3, at least),
GREATER YELLOWLEGS (1); SPOTTED SANDPIPER (1); SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER (6, at
least); WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER (6); DUNLIN (est. 12-15, often in very
attractive breeding plumage); STILT SANDPIPER (14); and WILSON'S PHALAROPE
(ca.14). The Semipalmated Sandpipers foraged quite close to the White-rumped
Sandpipers with no sign from either species of interspecies or agonistic
(i.e., within-species) aggressive (hostile) behavior. On the other hand, one
of the Stilt Sandpipers repeatedly harassed one of its own kind,
successfully putting the other to flight out of the immediate feeding area.
The Wilson's Phalaropes charged rapidly, widely, and at times almost wildly
about this finger of water, feeding peaceably together with not a single
spinning maneuver observed. Much of their food seemingly consisted of
insects in flight, for we often saw them snatching prey from the area not
far from the water's surface. Some of the birds on this list were found in
the water south of the outflow pipe or both there and in the finger of water
north of that pipe. The Semipalmated Plover was found south of that outflow
pipe, and that is the region where we most often have found it on recent
visits. (Total shorebird species for this site = 9.)

Wishing everyone the best of birding,
Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX