[texbirds] Seven Yellow Rails and A Black Rail to Boot

  • From: Berner Family <jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:55:49 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders:

A group of about twenty of us had a great time on the 4PM Anahuac Yellow Rail
Walk this afternoon. The group had great looks at seven yellow rails (I believe
more than had been seen on the previous 5 walks this year).

The walk started apparently inauspiciously for me when a good size dark rodent
jumped over my boot a few yards into the Yellow Rail prairie. However maybe it
was a good omen. About 75 yards into the prairie, a couple spotted a small dark
bird. After the group gathered around it, I looked down and a black rail was
literally on top of my boot. It then ran through my legs and flew a very short
distance. Can't ask for a better look. The whole group got good looks. David
indicated it was the first black rail he had seen since Hurricane Ike. On the
way back I also nearly stepped on one of the three Soras we saw. All in all a
fun experience. Thanks David!

David Sarkozi and the Friends of Anahuac are running six more rail walks this
season

Sunday April 14; 7 am and 4 pm
Saturday April 20; 7 am and 4 pm
Sunday April 21; 7 am and 4 pm