[texbirds] Screech Owl Kingsland

  • From: David Bryant <highlandbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:30:35 -0700 (PDT)

I decided to look around for migrants in my yard this morning. When I didn't
see any birds moving in the trees, I walked down and sat in a swing by the
creek.I then played a Screech Owl recording with my phone.
Almost immediately a large chunky looking bird flew over my head and landed in
front of me. It WAS a screech owl. The owl proceeded to sit there and do the
trill over and over. I gave up playing the recording since I now had the real
thing.

Unfortunately no migrants showed up. A Blue Jay came up and started harassing
the owl to the extent of pecking it on the head once. Several Northern
Cardinals showed up, but they mostly chased each other around. A pair of
Carolina Wrens were the only other birds that came by.

One unusual thing to me was that the pupils on the owl were very large. I would
have thought they would have been very small since the sun was bright.

Later in the morning, I was treated to an American Goldfinch in full breeding
colors.

David Bryant

Kingsland