[texbirds] Sayersville Road (both nuthatches)

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 20:32:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

For the last day of the trip the plan was to road-bird Brush's "Sayersville
 Loop".  This had to be one of the prettiest birding roads I've ever done
(after figuring out how to get to it--that's what the scouting trip is
for)!  I'm not sure I covered Brush's route exactly, but after getting lost
and
turned around multiple times yesterday afternoon (my Google printout was a
hair misleading), I finally figured out a nice 16-mile route starting where
 Phelan Drive connects with Sayers Road (Phelan is the first left north of
the  signal at FM 1441), and then picks up OLD Sayers Road.  (MapQuest seems
to  have it right--Google calls EVERYTHING "Old Sayers Road" and it's a bit
 confusing...)  You have to turn left onto Old Sayers about halfway
through,  however, and it's not well marked (the street sign was on the back of
the
stop  sign); if you come to the underpass with all the colorful graffiti,
you've gone  too far...  I guess the best landmark for this turnoff is to
start looking  for it once you're off the big cattle ranch (and that'll be
obvious).  I'm  going into all this detail because at least one other Texbirder
asked for it!  :-)

All that to say it was an absolutely GORGEOUS drive, and the White-breasted
 Nuthatch was in the wooded area near where the road parallels the Colorado
 River, along with a Red-breasted Nuthatch.  That particular stretch was
also Woodpecker Heaven, with five species represented (including Pileated),
and  a lady Flicker giving me a great look!  Singing Lark Sparrows were new
for  the trip, and a wave of at least 1000 Common Grackles wafted overhead at
one  point!  Couldn't kick up any longspurs, but since I was stopping and
listening every half mile, I felt I covered it pretty well!  But I can't
get over how much it reminded me of some of my beloved back roads of San Diego
 County--I'm jealous, Brush! ;-)

I decided to use the afternoon to try and bag some of the birds around
Elgin and Granger that I missed; long story short, no longspurs at all :-( but
I  DID add a flock of Cedar Waxwings and a singing Roadrunner to the trip
list  along Carlson Road!  So it wasn't a totally fruitless venture.

Photos and recordings are posted here:

_http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Sayersville%20Road.h
tml_
(http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Austin%20Area/Sayersville%20Road.html)

Bird List (new ones in CAPS):

Gadwall                               Anas strepera
Northern Shoveler                     Anas clypeata
Black Vulture                         Coragyps atratus
Turkey Vulture                        Cathartes aura
Northern Harrier                      Circus cyaneus
Red-shouldered Hawk                   Buteo lineatus
Red-tailed Hawk                       Buteo jamaicensis
American Coot                         Fulica americana
Killdeer                              Charadrius vociferus
Rock Pigeon                           Columba livia
Eurasian Collared-Dove                Streptopelia decaocto
White-winged Dove                     Zenaida asiatica
Mourning Dove                         Zenaida macroura
GREATER ROADRUNNER                      Geococcyx californianus
Red-bellied Woodpecker                Melanerpes  carolinus
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker              Sphyrapicus varius
Downy Woodpecker                      Picoides pubescens
Northern Flicker                      Colaptes auratus
Pileated Woodpecker                   Dryocopus pileatus
Crested Caracara                      Caracara cheriway
American Kestrel                      Falco sparverius
Eastern Phoebe                        Sayornis phoebe
Loggerhead Shrike                     Lanius ludovicianus
Blue Jay                              Cyanocitta  cristata
American Crow                         Corvus brachyrhynchos
Carolina Chickadee                    Poecile carolinensis
Tufted Titmouse                       Baeolophus bicolor
Red-breasted Nuthatch                 Sitta canadensis
WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH                 Sitta carolinensis
House Wren                            Troglodytes aedon
Carolina Wren                         Thryothorus ludovicianus
Golden-crowned Kinglet                Regulus satrapa
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                  Regulus calendula
Eastern Bluebird                      Sialia sialis
Hermit Thrush                         Catharus guttatus
American Robin                        Turdus migratorius
Northern Mockingbird                  Mimus polyglottos
European Starling                     Sturnus vulgaris
American Pipit                        Anthus rubescens
CEDAR WAXWING                           Bombycilla cedrorum
Pine Warbler                          Setophaga pinus
Yellow-rumped Warbler                 Setophaga coronata
Chipping Sparrow                      Spizella passerina
Field Sparrow                         Spizella pusilla
Vesper Sparrow                        Pooecetes gramineus
LARK SPARROW                            Chondestes grammacus
Savannah Sparrow                      Passerculus sandwichensis
Song Sparrow                          Melospiza melodia
Lincoln's Sparrow                     Melospiza lincolnii
Harris's Sparrow                      Zonotrichia querula
White-crowned Sparrow                 Zonotrichia leucophrys
Northern Cardinal                     Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged Blackbird                  Agelaius phoeniceus
Western Meadowlark                    Sturnella neglecta
Brewer's Blackbird                    Euphagus cyanocephalus
Common Grackle                        Quiscalus quiscula
Great-tailed Grackle                  Quiscalus mexicanus
Brown-headed Cowbird                  Molothrus ater
Pine Siskin                           Spinus pinus
American Goldfinch                    Spinus tristis
House Sparrow                         Passer domesticus
61  SPECIES
So far:  107 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX