[texbirds] Saturday birding Edinburg & McAllen, plus nightjar ID

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 18:48:58 -0500

The Edinburg Scenic Wetlands Bird-a-thon started off today. For any birders
in the Valley who want a great excuse to explore and look for new birding
sites in Edinburg, this fits the bill perfectly. I believe they're still
accepting registrations - you can call or check the link for more info. (
http://www.edinburgwbc.org/events.php)
In terms of bird at the Wetlands, there was a nice mix. Some
highlights were: tons of Fulvous Whistling-Ducks on North Pond, my first
Edinburg Monk Parakeet sighting, a male Black-chinned Hummingbird over by
the South Pond (thanks to Monica for pointing us to it!), and migrants in
Chipping, Lincoln's Sparrows, Northern Parula.
( http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13650435 )

Later at Quinta Mazatlan there was a beautiful Hooded Warbler back along
the wildcat trail. I also spent some time checking out a nightjar of some
sort, which I would welcome ID help on. Here are a couple
pictures featuring different angles of the bird.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olivaceousj/8625246081/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olivaceousj/8626354718/in/photostream/

--
John Brush