[texbirds] Sandhill Cranes - Gregg Co - Pineywoods

  • From: Linda Price <lprice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Maillist" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:01:21 -0600

Birding this morning on the Boorman Trail in Longview found several nice birds
including a scolding Winter Wren, a Blue-headed Vireo, an immature male
Sharp-shinned Hawk that patiently allowed me to walk around him and observe him
closely. The best was hearing and spotting 12 Sandhill Cranes flying high
overhead. While Sandhill Crane sightings are rare for Northeast Texas, east of
Lake Tawakoni, there are about a dozen sighings for them in the eBird database
including several in the second week of November. I tried recording their
flight calls with my iPhone. The link below contains one call that was loud
enough to overcome the nearby street noise.
Linda Gail Price
Longview Texas
Pineywoods
Longview- Paul G Boorman Trail--Mosley Pkwy Section, Gregg, US-TX
Nov 12, 2012 9:06 AM - 11:21 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.65 mile(s)
25 species

Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus)  1

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus)  1     immature SSHA sat quietly while
I walked around him and observed him for about 10 minutes.
The bird was very small so I am entering it as a male. He still had white
mottling in his wings.
The streaking on the breast was brown and blotchy unlike Cooper's darker and
finer lined streaks. The feet appeared small with long thin toes. The tail was
squarish with little white at the tip. The head was grayish brown.

Sandhill Crane (Grus canadensis)  12     I was on the trail under the trees
using my iphone to record when I began to hear the cranes. I moved out from the
cover and saw 12 cranes flying very high overhead. The iphone recording
captures the sound of the cranes but only faintly as there is a lot of road and
background noise in this area. I filtered the sound signal with a 800 to 5000
hz band filter to try and reduce the noise.

http://txbirdsong.me/2012/11/12/104/           This link is to my blog that
includes the recording with a single Sandhill Crane call.

Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  1
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  12
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  2
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis)  10
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  4
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  2
Winter Wren (Troglodytes hiemalis)  2
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  9
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)  1
Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum)  1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  3
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  2
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)  6
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  20
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  6
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  20

View this checklist online at