[texbirds] Sal del Rey, Delta Lake, 11/18/14

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "antshrike1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:56:22 -0500

The fall rains have certainly improved birding in Hidalgo County.  Good stuff
at Sal del Rey included 20 Snowy Plovers, 85 Wilson's Phalaropes and 50 Western
Sandpipers.  The west side of Delta Lake is low making for some good mudflats
and an estimated 500 shorebirds.  Best was a Dunlin.  There were also plenty of
White Pelicans and comorants and Laughing, Ring-billed and Franklin's Gulls.

There is good water along Brushline Road between TX 186 and FM 490 and plenty
of birds.  On a RGV Bird Festival trip we had lots of sparrows along Brushline
north of TX 186.  The playas at Hargill have lots of water and birds but I
didn't keep a list.  Today's lists for Sal del Rey and Delta Lake are on my
blog.

http://antshrike.blogspot.com/2014/11/sal-del-rey-delta-lake-111814.html

Dan Jones, Weslaco