[texbirds] Rufous-capped Warbler---Yes

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 20:45:40 -0500

I made a trip to Park Chalk Bluff (nw of Uvalde on H55) today (with Micky
Casaday) departing Junction at 6:30 a.m. Once at the park we headed straight to
the boat launch area and walked downstream a 100 or so yards. Where we met some
Travis Audubon members (Wallace's and Craig Rasmussen) who were on their way to
Big Bend). The Rufous-capped Warbler showed up at 8:30 and we had great views
from 20' for over a minute. The bird was in a large Sycamore (almost eye level
in dead limbs on left side of tree as you faced the tree) next to the trail
with some giant reed (Arundo) behind us. Lee Wallace got great photo's. The
bird sang one time shortly after he flew. We never saw, nor heard, the bird
again, even checking the area several more times. We also diligently checked
out the area (furtherest picnic table in pecan bottom) where another bird had
been reported but that bird was a no-show. I had 87 species for the day will
list some for Park Chalk Bluff and a few for the Uvalde National Fish Hatchery
where we made a brief stop:
Park Chalk Bluff:
Rufous-capped Warbler
6 vireos (white-eyed, yellow-throated, red-eyed, blue-headed, warbling and
bell's).
Hooded Oriole
Bullock's Oriole
Gray Catbird
Ringed Kingfisher
Green Kingfisher (also up H55 3 mi at bridge over Nueces River)
Yellow Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
American Redstart
Black Phoebe (H55 bridge crossing of Nueces R.)
Long-billed Thrasher
Olive Sparrow(s)
Harris Hawk (toward Uvalde on pole--H55)

Uvalde National Fish Hatchery:
Baird's Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Nashville Warbler

In summary the Rufous-capped Warbler did not sing today as reported by other
observers. All of the folks present (including Richard Redmond and Dana Green)
had listened to the song prior to the trip so all were familiar with it.
Richard R. and Dana G. also reported a Blackburnian Warbler and Hutton's Vireo.

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.