[texbirds] Re: Roma Bluffs World Birding Center is closing

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David T. Dauphin" <dauphins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 19:19:41 -0500

Although I share your disappointment, and encourage everyone to follow your
suggestions for communicating with the various officials, I do not agree
with your blame game.
FWS has been hit with drastic cutbacks, thanks to our elected federal
representatives not being willing to earn their keep.  Cutbacks in
resources usually result in decreased efficiency, as well.  They don't even
have a district office in Corpus Christi any more (although they do still
have a reduced number of personnel there).  It is unfair to blame the staff
members for issues that are beyond their control.

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM, David T. Dauphin <dauphins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> It is unfortunate that the USFWS at Santa Ana NWR has decided to close the
> Roma Bluffs World Birding Center, and no longer staff it with a full time
> employee nor have a store, there.  This is another example of poor
> management at Santa Ana NWR in the past few years.
> What can you do?
> !.  Share your opinion with Dr. Benjamin Tuggle ( RDTuggle@xxxxxxx ),
> Regional Director of the Southwest Region of USFWS, headquartered at 500
> Gold Ave. SW, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102, and ask Dr. Tuggle to repsond
> back to you.
> 2.  Share your opinion with US Congressman Henry Cuellar of the 28th
> District, phone toll free at toll free: 1 (877) 780-0028.
> 3.  Share your opinion with Starr Co. Judge, Eloy Vera at
> eloy.vera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx .
> 4.  STOP SHOPPING at the Santa Ana NWR Store and at Laguna Atascosa NWR
> Store; let them know why.  Friends of Santa Ana Refuge, aka, Friends of
> theWildlife Corridor are connected together with Laguna Atascosa NWR under
> the name Friends of South Texas NWR's (you can always shop at the Valley's
> various State Park Stores.
>
> The Friends of Santa Ana NWR operate the Roma Bluff Store.  Sales from
> Santa Ana NWR Store went to help keep Roma Bluffs-WBC open.
>
> David Dauphin
> Mission, TX
> For Valley wildlife watching info, go to
> http://www.thedauphins.net

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein