[texbirds] Ringed Kingfisher at Colorado River Wildlife Sanctuary, Travis County

  • From: Richard Harman <rharmanintx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:15:47 -0600

I stopped by  Colorado River Wildlife Sanctuary this morning at around
7:30am under the intersection of Highway 183 and Airport Blvd in southeast
Austin. I have never stopped to check out the area before but have seen
(from the bridge) large numbers of ducks, herons, Am. White Pelicans and
others on the way to work. Access to this area is from Levander Loop.
There were no unusual ducks that I could find in my quick scan of the 200+
on the river, but a nice mix nonetheless. The highlight, however, was a
male Ringed Kingfisher flying down the river under the bridge westbound.

This appears to be severely under-birded area and may warrant more looks in
the near future.

Richard Harman
Austin, TX