[texbirds] Re: Red-tailed Hawk in the concrete jungle

  • From: Alisa Kline <abkline@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 14:05:56 -0500

On Buffalo Bayou between Shepherd and downtown there was a pair of
red-shouldered hawks this winter and spring. Haven't seen/heard them lately.
Saw the first one every day while running and then, in the late winter, a
second appeared. They called to each other quite a bit. I assume they nested
and may have found the nest near Sawyer street, but didn't have binoculars to
confirm it. There is also a pair of Swainsons Hawks frequently over the same
area. I think they are the pair that entertain the bat watchers every night by
swooping in for an evening snack before retiring. Again, I keep seeing them
while running, not birding but I have seen them in the area a bit before sunset
when there was still enough light to id them without glasses. I  imagine that
they are the probably same Swainsons that buzz my house from time to time.

There's more wildlife in town than people imagine.

Alisa Kline
2 miles west of downtown Houston