[texbirds] Red-naped Sapsucker at Bentsen SP

  • From: Pat DeWenter <hoocooks4you@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 16:30:22 -0600

I saw and photographed the Red-naped Sapsucker about 1:45 this afternoon.
I was lucky to see it within 5 minutes of arriving at the area, as some man
had been searching for it for 1 1/2 hours and had just left.  I felt sorry
for him.  It is still in the area to the west of the south bathrooms in the
main body of the park.  It flew from a tree along the resaca to an ebony
tree just south of the feeding station near the bathroom.  It pecked and
fed on the ebony tree for quite a while giving me good looks and some good
pictures.
As a side note I saw a late Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on the way home,
between NABA and Conroy Ave.
Pat DeWenter
Weslaco/Hidalgo Co.