[texbirds] Re: Red Crossbill at Claiborne West Park

  • From: steve mayes <sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lolabe11@xxxxxx" <lolabe11@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:01:47 -0600

Refound the Red Crossbill in Claiborne West Park this morning despite the windy
rainy conditions. The bird is a nice male and was in a large flock of
goldfinches with some Chipping Sparrows and at least one Pine Siskin feeding in
a sweet gum tree near group picnic shelter #1 next to a small playground. I
have no experience with the different subtypes of crossbills but the bill on
this bird did not seem particularly large. I never heard it vocalize.
Thanks for the great bird Laurie!

Steve Mayes
Nederland, TX

Sent from my iPhone