[texbirds] Rare Brown Thrasher @ Edinburg Scenic Wetlands & WBC

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:19:48 -0600

Hello, Texbirders
Saturday (12/22/14) I was finally able to get good enough looks to
positively identify a bird that I had been suspecting to be a Brown
Thrasher, which is rare for the LRGV. The bird has been present for a
couple of weeks. I had flushed it several times and had noticed the rusty
reddish/brown coloration, but It never let me get good looks until
Saturday. It's been very skulky.

I was able to get some good doc shots this morning:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111437145@N04/16055020726/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111437145@N04/15893530900/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111437145@N04/15461153383/in/photostream/

The park is open till 5pm today (12/22/14) and tomorrow from 7am-6pm. Park
will be closed on the 24th and 25th.

This bird will more than likely spend the winter here.

Good holiday birding to all,

Naturalist Educator @ Edinburg WBC
-Javi Gonzalez