[texbirds] RFI - Spring Migration updates

  • From: Graham Floyd <spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 17:21:31 -0500

Texbirders,
Updates on what folks are seeing at the various migrant traps are very
helpful.  I have noticed a significant drop in texbirds traffic lately.
Everyone must be out birding hard.  I know I haven't had time to compose
concise updates, and I am 3 weeks behind on my photos.

Saturday hi-lites:

:-(  I reported a Ferruginous Hawk near Attwater NWR in error.  'Twas a
Krider's Red-tailed Hawk.

Quintana:

     - Horned Grebe with Eared Grebes on Saturday on north side of
Freeport/Dow Storm Levee (scope distance)

Sunday hi-lites:

Anahuac Rail Walk Sunday 7am:

     - Black Rail (flew 5 feet in front of me /brag:-)
     - Yellow Rail (x2)
     - Sora (x4)
     - Clapper Rail or "Cling" on road, nice grey cheeks
     - King Rails calling all along the roads
     - American Bittern (x5, x2 in ditch along road)
     - Least Bittern in ditch along road
     - Whimbrel (flyover of 60)

Skillern Track:

     -if you have a scope there are lots of shorebirds.  I missed the reeve
by a few minutes:-(

Lafitte's on Sunday:

    - Arrived around 2pm and it was hopping!  It then quieted down but got
really busy around 6pm.  Much better than the few other reports I have seen
would indicate.  Slow photography wise though.

Graham Floyd,
San Antonio, TX