[texbirds] Re: RFI: Mountain Plovers

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:31:45 -0600

I can not speak to them this year, but for 3-4 years there were birds south
of Corpus off highway and west  72 on County Rd. 12 about 1.5 miles
...There is a band of trees that crosses the road they were usually about a
mile east of there on the south side where standing water often
collects....These birds exhibit strong site fidelity so it is well worth a
check....There was also a group that were on the same county road and on
the same side west of CR 55....With the rains there (?) this dirt (not
gravel) road can be tricky...There are other locations but this is not far
off 77...At least not as far as some of the other known locations I
remember reading about...Others may know of more recent groups.   I have
had them a few times on CR 14 just a mile to the north as well but I did
not check that road as much as I did CR 12 when I was down there.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Sanchez, Isaac C <sanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> TEXBIRDERS
> I'm leaving on Friday for a quick LRGV weekend and I’ll be looking for
> Mountain Plovers on my way down to the Valley from Austin.  There are no
> recent eBird reports of MOPL from either the Halff Brothers sod farm in
> Frio Co. or on CR 1600 near Raymondville.  Please let me know if you have
> had recent success at either of these locations or anywhere else south of
> Austin.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Isaac Sanchez
> Austin

Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist
361-655-7641 Cell
720-202-0276 Business
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas