[texbirds] Re: RFI: Black Rail

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 21:44:54 -0600

Bob:  To be honest, Black Rail locations that are known to be (away from
NWRs) good on accessible locations are kept pretty much secret these days
due to folks hounding them with tapes and tromping veg flat in those areas
where the few that summer seem to try to breed .   They do rail searches up
in Chambers Co. though (contact David Sarkozi on that).  I and a few others
are way past giving up other locations for them anymore....And I mean no
offense about that as I know you are likely very responsible but "I've seen
the needle and the damage done"..The word gets out somehow the summering
population is especially very localized and vulnerable..Or you can find a
rice farmer and ride a combine in October.:-)
Brush