[texbirds] Re: Purple Martin Report -- July 20th

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:14:52 -0500

But do NOT take umbrellas, especially brightly colored ones, right up to the
birds or under the trees as they are settling in for the night. They really
frighten the birds and they do much more getting up and down. This is important
because the birds are foraging heavily to lay on as much fat reserves as they
can for a long trip very shortly. If spectators disturb them and cause them to
use a lot of extra energy, they may not survive the trip. And, they may in
future years find a place to gather that is less accessible by people who
disturb them.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632