[texbirds] Purple Martin Puzzlements

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:16:33 -0400

Hi all -
OK, even though I have been living in TX for 5 years now, there are still
things about TexBirding that puzzle me greatly.   I would appreciate input on
Purple Martins.

In early spring, there are reports of FOY Purple Martins that come NORTH of
Corpus Christi, always before we are seeing them here.   When they finally come
to my yard, they do not usually start hanging around the PM houses until much
later in the spring - April or May.   I do not see much in the way of nesting
activity until even later in the season.

Now in mid-July, there have been reports of the big martin roosts (Austin,
Houston, etc.) for a few weeks now, composed of birds that are usually NOT
adult males, leading me to assume that they are immatures and possibly adult
females.   OK, that makes sense - dad takes a vacation while mom looks after
the kids.

Meanwhile "my" birds are all still in the yard - both adults feeding fledged
youngsters, coursing through the yards and skies after the rainstorms drive
down the bugs, etc.    The numbers have not appreciably lessened here in CC.

Can anybody explain WHY?

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik North America, Inc.
Naturalist Market Manager
800-426-3089  x2959
Cell 401-965-9064
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

This communication may contain information that is legally privileged,
confidential or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. Anyone who receives this message in error
should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail and
delete this communication entirely from his or her computer.