[texbirds] Possible hybrid Snowy x Little Egret Matagorda

  • From: Scott <scottratkinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 16:37:42 -0800

Texbirds:

Please check these low-quality but nonetheless interesting photos (most recent
posted at top today):

 https://www.flickr.com/photos/14115261@N05/

The bird has SNOWY EGRET head plumes, but dark gray lores, gray-yellow iris
color, a heavy and even-thickness bill, forehead feathering coming to a tapered
defined point, and uniform dark legs, giving rise to thoughts of LITTLE EGRET.
I've seen LITTLE previously at Chincoteague NWR and a number of times in the
Russian Far East, South Korea and Japan, but never at this time of year.  These
birds were also adults as memory serves, and I find myself wishing I had more
experience with immatures...Comments are strongly encouraged here or on the
flickr site.

This bird was in an active group of feeding WHITE IBIS just north of the
entrance road to the public beach at Matagorda.  Just further at the end of the
road/fishing pier, there was a very late BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, heard only but
several times as it flew over.  There was also a single ad. LESSER BLACK-BACKED
GULL here in the gull hordes.

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens
mail to:  scottratkinson@xxxxxxxxxxx