[texbirds] Porter Road Owls

  • From: engintsf@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 09:40:24 -0500 (EST)

From 7:25 this morning I spent 30 minutes watching the pair of Short-eared Owls
in early morning sunlight along Porter Road. They occasionally flew by within
20 yards of my position. They stayed mainly in the field to the west but
sometimes crossed over the road to the field on the east. Every now and then
they would engage in what I can only think is some sort of bonding behavior:
They would fly up towards each other and hang in the air for a moment face to
face and only a foot or so apart. It looked almost as if they were bumping
chests! Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
Jeff Mohamed
Cypress