[texbirds] Port O'Connor after the front.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:42:16 -0500

my bestest part.  There were migrants but all down low in scrub and brush
due to the howling north wind which a neighbor said had gusts to 40+ mph
when the front came in.   I found a Red-breasted Grosbeak and a Summer
Tanager on the ground alive and was actually able to pick them both up.
They were both so exhausted they just went to sleep in my hand.  I put
those in more protected places away from potential feral cats.  There was a
dead Tri-colored Heron in one yard and a saw a Great-tailed Grackle and a
Laughing Gull with small unknown passerines they had also also likely
plucked from the ground   Yeah I suspect tomorrow will be great for
birders, but this evening/night is gonna be hell on migrants and I reckon
many will not make it to land.  The wind here right now makes birding too
difficult to bird any patch thoroughly...It is howling out there  I am not
going to list the all the usual migrants seen but suffice it so say there
are a LOT more buntings than this morning.
--
Brush Freeman
361-655-7641 Cell