[texbirds] Re: Pollywog Pond today

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 08:39:34 -0500

Truly the most gasp-inspiring day I've had in many years in the Corpus
Christi area.

My aim was Rose Hill Cemetery after I got off work at 4:30, but I didn't
make it through the gates.  At the corner of Palm and Lipan Streets there
was a flock of Indigo Buntings and Dickcissels that numbered close to 500.
They were eating the seeds of a tall grass and the brilliant blue, yellow
and rust colored birds clung to the fences, bathed in puddles, strolled on
the ground -- it was like when Mayflies hatch and you are surrounded by
them.  Saw one Clay-colored Sparrow among them.

I also birded the Veterans' Cemetery/Harper's Ferry Rd. where I found four
Lazuli Buntings, causing more gasps.  The sun was setting so I vowed to go
back today and bring my scope to get the birds behind the fence.

Woohoo!

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi