[texbirds] Panhandle Birding, Longspurs, Moore County 16-NOV 2014

  • From: "Barrett Pierce" <bpierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 13:52:53 -0600

On Sunday, 16-NOV 2014, Susan Thompson and I headed up to Rita Blanca
Grasslands in Dallam County but the weather deteriorated to a near white-out
in Moore County. The ground was covered with snow and we salvaged the trip
by looking at longspurs in Moore County. We stopped at spots where the wind
had cleared the ground of snow. The longspurs were intermingled with the
Horned Larks. They flushed as we stopped but soon returned to the same
scarce bare ground. The longspurs had abandoned their tentative, "wheeling"
flight pattern in the wind and snowfall and joined the Horned Larks in
flight and foraging.  We had excellent views of McCown's, Lapland and
Chestnut-collared Longspurs from 40' to 50', making this one of my very few
experiences with longspurs that was not extremely frustrating.

Barrett Pierce

Amarillo, TX