[texbirds] Painted Redstart and Red-headed Woodpecker at Aransas NWR

  • From: David True <davidttrue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 12:34:36 -0500

1/11/2014

After a two week trip outside of Texas, I was pleasantly happy to find that the
painted redstart and the red-headed woodpecker are still at Aransas NWR.  The
redstart is hanging around the trees near the visitor center and the red-headed
woodpecker is in the dead oak trees near the front gate.

Other birds with limited time for observing this morning included eastern
bluebirds, greater white-fronted and snow geese, golden and ruby-crowned
kinglets, a Couch's kingbird, common grackles and American goldfinch.  Over 200
sandhill cranes flew over the visitor center this morning with one whooping
crane mixed in.

I didn't observe the long-tailed ducks or any scoters as of yesterday evening
or this morning.

David True

Park Ranger

Aransas NWR