[texbirds] PEARLAND: FOY CHUCK WILL'S WIDOW

  • From: Mira M Pellerin <mirampellerin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:08:05 -0400 (EDT)

While riding my trike at 5 AM this morning, I heard not one, but two Chuck
Will's Widows calling in the riparian area near my house, along Mary's Creek.
At first I heard only one, then none, then two calling alternately from
different locations.

I knew they were not Mocking birds, because of the tremendous power of the
calls, and because I could hear the distinctive "chuck" or "check" at the
beginning of each call.  The local Mockers can imitate the CWW's call, but not
with the power and 'volume, and they never get the "check" note at the
beginning.

Mira M. Pellerin
Pearland, TX