[texbirds] PEARLAND BLUEBIRDS DOING WELL

  • From: "Mira M Pellerin" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mirampellerin@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 20:27:08 -0400 (EDT)

I was riding my trike at 7 AM this morning when I flushed a family of E.
Bluebirds from a neighbor's front lawn down the street from my house
(ironically, I live on Bluebird Way).  First to fly was an adult male, then an
adult female, and then 3 immature birds.  The male flew into a large oak tree,
and the female and the three youngsters flew up onto the roof of the house. I
am glad that they have managed to escape the many feral (and "house") cats that
inhabit my neighborhood.   And late yesterday evening ( around 7:45 PM) while
riding my trike against that awful wind, I noticed three common nighthawks also
having trouble making headway against the wind gusts.

I thought that I was helping the situation last fall when I caught two cats in
live traps, both of them un neutered tomcats.  But, much to my surprise I saw
them both again one week later. When I called Pearland Animal Control, they
told me that the owners of the cats had called to inquire about their "lost
cats", and they were told that the cats had been caught in traps and that they
had picked them up.   Apparently, there is no requirement to neuter a cat in
Pearland, since both cats were  returned to the owners, after a "talk" about
allowing pets to roam,  which is illegal in Pearland.  Since this was the first
"offense" for each cat, there was no penalty or fine!  And both of  the tomcats
are still "tomcats".

Mira M. Pellerin
Pearland, TX