[texbirds] No sign of Ringed Kingfisher on Salado, but found a hummer nest with 2 young

  • From: Patty Leslie Pasztor <pasztor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, SATXbirds <SATXbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 18:01:17 -0500

Hi all,

FYI - Saw a Ringed Kingfisher in San Antonio on the Salado Creek off Austin
Highway last week (July 24th at 8 PM).  I mentioned it on SATX birds but not
Texbirds.  I've been back several times, but haven't seen or heard it since.

I did spot a Black-chinned hummer nest high up in a Pecan tree there - quite
camouflaged (found it with my binocs only after seeing the female fly in, and
realized she was feeding young).  I could see two bills poking out of the nest
when she left!  I noticed that cottonwood fluff was used in nest-building (the
trees are nearby and seed fluff was all around on the ground).   I was
wondering if it's a bit late to have a nest?  I was in touch with Brush and he
said indeed sort of late, but that it's been an unusual year and temps are
still under 100 degrees.

Also spotted a Zebra... Heliconian, that is, a somewhat tropical butterfly.   I
hadn't seen one here in a few years.

Patty Leslie Pasztor
San Antonio, TX Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at