[texbirds] No Common Crane found today

  • From: Garett Hodne <garyhodne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 18:56:15 -0700

I searched alone most of the day from 10 am while it was still foggy until 4:30
and had no luck finding the common Crane, the proverbial needle in a haystack.
There were several thousands of cranes scattered mostly in the vicinity of Bula
until about 2pm when they all mysteriously lifted off en masse and headed east.
I needed gas so I drove east to Littlefield on FM54 at 2:15.
 About halfway between Bula & Littlefield on the North side of FM54 is a large
lake where I relocated several thousands of cranes coming in to roost. They
were still there at 3:15 when I returned.

Unfortunately the distance is too great (over 1/2 mile) and the heat distortion
too bad to make out any details on individual cranes.

When I returned to the Bula area I couldn't find a single crane anywhere.
Another person from PA reported toe that there were also none at the Refuge as
of 4pm.

Shortly after that I left.

Gary Hodne
Currently in Roswell to look for the NM Common crane tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone