[texbirds] Re: New National Big Day Record Set Once Again In Texas

  • From: Stenmead@xxxxxxx
  • To: ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 08:47:49 -0400 (EDT)

Congratulations Ron and John!! Wow, Wow, Wow!

In a message dated 4/21/2013 1:17:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
TexBirders,
Now that I have Team Sapsucker's attention... I will  add that this was a
"Green"
Big Day record done largely on bicycles.   John Hale of College Station and
logged over 71 miles on our bikes and  another 5 or so on foot on April
20th (now
yesterday).  Our route  included Double Bayou Park, Anahuac NWR, High
Island,
Rollover Pass and  Bolivar Flats.  We tallied 22 warblers and 32 shorebirds
(including  the Ruff) to record 181 species.  We believe this to be a  new
record
for a Big Day using only human power.  The  currently published record (see
http://greenbigday.org) was 161 species  set in CA - supposedly 170 was
topped
earlier this year also in CA.   We did this under ABA and Birding Classic
rules
meaning no playback  and no lights.  Special thanks to Joe Kennedy who was
my
primary  consultant as I laid out the route - I swear he he knows evey bird
by
name  in Chambers and Galveston counties.  More details later.

Ron  Weeks
Lake Jackson

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner