[texbirds] Re: My "Backyard sightings" post to Texbirds

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 06:41:09 -0400 (EDT)

Personally, I appreciate the lists from a given site that includes the
common birds, because while they're common "up there", they're still birds we
don't get in the Valley, and I often use these posts to determine where to
go on  vacation just to get some new year birds!  True, you can go almost
anywhere  in east Texas to get a Blue Jay (one of my favorites, I admit), but
the local  lists may make one state park/birding hot spot more "tempting"
than another when  vacation time rolls around!  Keep on posting, guys!

MB

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)

In a message dated 3/31/2013 12:23:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sngcanary@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I have  been debating all morning on whether I should reply to this email.
I am the  "adamant" *one*. (What was with the astericks?) I do not believe
there is  value in posting House Sparrows and Blue Jays, which was in the
original email  from Z. There are a lot of people on Texbirds. If we all did
this it would be  very difficult to glean any value. The quote from me below
was in response to  several questions about the record keeper for Texbirds. I
was trying to  explain that Texbirds is not for records. I suggested in my
first response  that it is always appropriate to post those to Ebird.
There is absolutely  nothing wrong with asking questions on Texbirds. We
all can gain knowledge.  There is nothing wrong with discussing bird behavior;
despite implications  from a recent email, people like me, who call
themselves birders or listers,  do enjoy observing birds and their habits, and
learning more about them.

There are very, very few "professionals" on Texbirds. If you  mean
ornithologists, I wish we had more. If you mean bird guides, the good  ones are
too
busy to post very often. I have heard from several long time  birders,
people with immense knowledge, that they have quit reading Texbirds.  They are
weary of being called "elitist." They are tired of endless lists of  common
birds. I badly miss their input. I am considering joining their ranks.

Sheridan Coffey
San Antonio,  Tx
http://sngcanary1.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/sngcanary