[texbirds] Morning Bird Walk at Quinta Mazatlan

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:14:25 -0500

Well it was an interesting morning at QM. It felt like we weren't seeing
much, just a few things here and there, but by the end of the walk (plus an
extra half hour spent at Ruby Pond) the list ended up being pretty nice!
We had Swainson's Thrush, Ovenbird, and two Summer Tanagers right off the
bat, then just kind of dinked around the wildcat trail and didn't see too
much. Things really picked up at Ruby Pond, where we saw Yellow-breasted
Chat, another Summer Tanager, Indigo and Painted Buntings.

The Common Pauraque remains at its spot along the Discovery Trail (just
north of the cactus garden), and we also scared up a couple
Chuck-will's-widows. Bird walks are every Tuesday at 8:30 am. Full list
below.

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  6
Plain Chachalaca  15
Turkey Vulture  10