[texbirds] McNary Reservoir

  • From: Graham Floyd <spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 18:44:41 -0600

Dennis Shepler safely drove us past the I-10/I-20 intersection mess and the
dozen totaled cars that so expertly hit the ice at 80mph.  Frozen hands
didn't keep us from trying to be thorough at McNary Reservoir.  At least
100 Common Mergansers on the far side.  Only one gull was patrolling the
roadside of the reservoir, the first winter California Gull reported by
Barry Zimmer.  His description of "double dark secondaries" saved the day.
 Young gulls, blech!  That makes 465 for me, and 464 for Dennis.
We hope the wind is down tomorrow so we can find that Mew Gull or another
rarity.

Graham Floyd & Dennis Shepler,
San Antonio & Houston, TX