[texbirds] McKitterick Canyon today

  • From: Michael Austin <mausti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:51:43 -0700

The odd wren found by Mark Lockwood was heard by me this afternoon along with a
close by Winter Wren. Both birds had been recorded earlier by a couple I met
coming down canyon. The birds are up canyon from Marks cairn & arrow. They're
at the bottom of a steep set of rock stairs in some heavy tree rubble in the
stream bed (they may have moved there due to today's winds)

Both our parties dipped on the Dipper although I spent almost an hour at the
stream crossing where it was seen yesterday.

Of additional interest was a possible BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE I heard but
unfortunately saw only briefly. I saw only the back 2/3 of the bird but enough
to know it was a chickadee. It did not have the buzzy sound of Mountain
Chickadee which l subsequently heard & the cals cadence was slower than
Carolina Chickadee. If anyone has other ideas about the vocalizations  I heard
please let me know.  At least it's worth listening for. It was between the
third dry and fourth very wet stream crossing.

Mike Austin
Pearland

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at